Date:      Fri, 03 Jun 2005 18:31:42 -0500
From:      Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>
To:        robertst@speakeasy.net, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.4 Installation

--On June 3, 2005 9:41:00 PM +0000 robertst@speakeasy.net wrote:

> I am a FreeBSD newbie and have some questions about installation.  I
> installed the 5.4 version from CD and selected the =E2=80=9CUser and X
> Windows=E2=80=9D (or something like it) installation.  I also selected
> =E2=80=9Cyes=E2=80=9D for installing all of the packages.
>
> The packages installation copied about 25MB of data to the disk instead
> of the 300MB that it said it was going to.  Is that what it=E2=80=99s =
supposed
> to do?  It looks like not all of the packages were copied, specifically
> Netatalk (which is on the second CD).  How do I get it to copy the rest
> of the packages?

Log in as root.  Run /stand/sysinstall from the commandline.  Chose=20
Configure Do post-install configuration of FreeBSD.  Select Packages.  Then =

select the packages you want that didn't get installed and install them.

> Also, it looked like it copied the X.org files but never went through the
> X setup.  Is this what it is supposed to do?

Yes.  You need to configure X yourself.

Login as root.  From the command line type "Xorg -configure".  That=20
*should* create an xorg.conf.new file in the current directory that has the =

correct settings for your setup.   When it finishes, it will print out a=20
command you use to test to see if the setup worked.  If it did, copy the=20
file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.  If it didn't, google is your friend, as well=20
as the Handbook.

> I have a working text-based FreeBSD system, but I would like to get the
> Netatalk package installed and also get the X windows system up and
> running.

Once you have the xorg.conf file created, run xdm or gdm to start a window=20
manager.  If everything works as expected, edit /etc/ttys to start the=20
window manager at bootup.  If you're using xdm, just uncomment the line for =

ttyv8.  If you're using gdm, uncomment the same line, but change xdm to =
gdm.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
University of Texas at Dallas