Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 2017 03:59:46 -0700
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6722@twc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: svn error: node conflict in /usr/ports/x11/xcb-proto/files

--C4Kq9gGfBcbmEshh

On Sun, Apr 23, 2017 at 09:32:08AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > > FreeBSD amelia2 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #1 r286653M: Wed
> > Aug 12 15:25:51 UTC 2015
> > > root@amelia2:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SANDY11NC-NDIS amd64
>=20
> > You should really update world/kernel first and then update all your po=
rts.
> > At least some ports will probably fail on this old system.
>=20
> > Herbert
>=20
> I know or strongly believe I need to update world/kernel before updating =
ports; that applies to NetBSD as well as FreeBSD.
>=20
> I remember reading on this emailing list (ports) that ports might not bui=
ld if the underlying base system is not supported.
>=20
> In any case, I would have to rebuild ports again after updating world/ker=
nel.
>=20
> I was stung on that matter at least once when I updated world/kernel, bel=
ieve I ran "make delete-old-libs", rendered many ports nonoperational, and =
had a lot of rebuilding to do.

The sequence in which I update the various components on systems:
* buildworld
* buildkernel (including kernel mods from ports)
* installkernel (including kernel mods from ports)
* mergemaster -p
* installworld
* mergemaster
* delete-old
* reboot
* delete any unwanted ports that are installed
* update all installed ports
* delete-old-libs
* add any ports not installed, but wanted
* reboot

I do this daily on a couple of machines; only weekly on others.  I
rarely have problems caused by the process.  (Note caveat, there. :-})

Peace,
david
--=20
Who would have thought that a "hotelier" would be so ... unwelcoming?  Sad.

--C4Kq9gGfBcbmEshh

--C4Kq9gGfBcbmEshh--