Date:      Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:58:46 -0400
From:      Jason Lieurance <jason@vipersystems.biz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 5.x problems with new dell server

Hello,

I bought a new dell poweredge1425sc server. It's has dual 2.8 xeon's
with HT, 1 Gb ram, Seagate u320 73GB HD, Adaptec u320 scsi controller,
its all new stuff. FreeBSD 5.3 and 5.4 install fine but then its
trouble. It'll be running fine and I'll be doing whatever and then
intermeantly it will kick out a bunch of junk(forgive me I didn't write
it down) about scsi channel A timing out. After all that comes up in
white, it'll go back to normal. Then a couple minutes later it repeats
it self and so on. Now, I know the hardware is ok because I checked it
and it came wired from the factory but most importantly, Debian
Linux(sarge) works fine on it and whats installed now(2 weeks, no
problems). I tried disabling HT support on both 5.3 and 5.4 but this
doesn't help ( I didn't figure it would but I read something about bad
things with HT and BSD 5.x). I would really like to get FreeBSD 5.x on
there somehow cause I love BSD but for now I guess I'll settle for
debian unless someone can uncover the mystery.

Thanks.

-- Jason