Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2001 20:54:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        jkh@winston.freebsd.org
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposed auto-sizing patch to sysinstall (was Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

In article <3839.1007891857@winston.freebsd.org> you write:
>>     Sigh.  Look, the whole point of 'A'uto is to create a reasonable
>> [rant deleted]
>
>All in your humble opinion, to be sure.  I don't agree with it,
>however, and enough other people clearly don't agree with it that

When I first implemented an `A'uto option, it had one and only one
point: to make it possible a bunch of computer scientists who were
used to SunOS to install FreeBSD without PC-hardware-expert
intervention.  Not long after, Paul Traina came up with the scripting
features which (IMHO) were a much better way of achieving that goal
(since we were already distributing our own FreeBSD installation
media, with the `confusing' options ripped out).  For some reason, I
cannot seem to find the original patch I wrote for this purpose.  (I
know it didn't go directly into sysinstall -- for one thing, it was
not documented, not even on-screen, since I was a total curses loser
at the time and didn't want to spend any more time on this particular
hack.)

-GAWollman