Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:45:31 -0700
From:      Eli Dart <dart@nersc.gov>
To:        Darcy Buskermolen <darcy@wavefire.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TCP SACK backport to -STABLE

--==_Exmh_499819802P

> On August 25, 2004 06:44 am, Marko Zec wrote:
> > On Wednesday 25 August 2004 00:15, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > > You do know don't you, that if you continue to do these things, you will
> > > be punnished by
> > > getting a CVS commit bit..?
> >
> > Well, I didn't write the code myself, just ported it from -CURRENT. Anyhow,
> > glad to see that people still care about the 4.x branch.
> >
> > Re that commit bit, what kind of commiter would that be who only likes to
> > work on -STABLE? :)
>
> The kind that would be liked by those who like some of the features of
> -CURRENT, but  policy won't allow them to put them into production...

Careful there.....one major reason I use FreeBSD is that, compared
with the other operating systems I can use, major breakages are rare.

I expect the policy that prevents you from deploying the most
featureful OS available is there to avoid the late-night pain
required to run the latest and greatest features in production.

It would be a shame if stability were lost in a rush for new
features.  If smarter people than I feel that SACK should be
backported, great.  However, I for one greatly appreciate the
commitments to stability and POLA that are so much a part of FreeBSD.

		--eli