Date:      Wed, 25 Dec 2002 11:22:56 -0600
From:      Hari Bhaskaran <subscr@spider.netmails.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ghost-ing a ufs+vinum disk

Hi,

I am looking for a method to dump my 'current' installation
(which includes couple of vinum volumes + some other normal
UFS partitions) to another machine where I have access to
a CDR. I don't want to dump the entire HDD, but only the
used sectors/files. If you are familiar with Norton Ghost running
from a boot floppy uploading contents to a Ghost server,
that's exactly what I am trying to achieve. Norton Ghost
seems to 'support' UFS, but it merely dumps every sector of
a hard disk - not really what I want to achieve.

BTW, I don't have hotswapable drives and such. So using vinum
itself to make a spare disk is not an option. I don't
mind temporarily rebooting the machine on to a different OS/disk
to do this backup.

Any help is appreciated.

--
Hari Bhaskaran