Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 18:52:29 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        des@ofug.org (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert), jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com (Jordan Hubbard), bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fortune candidate from #FreeBSD on EFNet

> > The basis of the joke required people to complete an _English_
> > phrase in their mind to make the association.  I maintain that
> > the joke is anglocentric.
>
> This is absolute, complete, utter, first-rate US-centric bullshit.
> "The Lord works in mysterious ways" (independently of the rest of your
> quote) is a colloquial expression in France and Norway, and probably
> in other european countries as well.

I don't know why you have it in for me for the past couple of
days, but I have to say that the rabid ad hominim attacks getting
tiring.

The _precise_ quote Alfred posted from IRC was:

| 09:26 #freebsd         mcmc> god works in mysterious ways
| 09:26 #freebsd         mcmc> freebsd on the other hand, has man pages

I think even you will have to agree that the text quoted above
was written in English.

> Jordan is hardly a statistically representative cross-section of
> the FreeBSD community.

Perhaps it was merely an example of his "fairings" humor, in
which he was pretending to be "mystified".  I rather suspect
that his posting was made tongue in cheek; I only made mine
because, while his posting had a high probability of being a
joke, there were, IMO, people who would not have gotten the
original joke, and I liked it enough to want them to get it.

> I'm tempted to theorise that the phrase did not originate with the
> book you quoted, but rather that its author used an expression his
> readers were already familiar with.

Feel free; if you can find a reference which predates 1687, in
any language, I'll be happy to reference it instead.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.