Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:11:49 -0700
From:      Sean Murphy <smurphy@calarts.edu>
To:        Noah <admin2@enabled.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: easiest way to install CPAN on FreeBSD

Noah wrote:

> Martin Hepworth wrote:
>> what have you tried and what errors do you get?
>>

> Martin
>

> thanks for responding.  here are the errors I am receiving when I am
> attempting to update things.
>

> sudo perl -MCPAN -e 'CPAN::Shell->install(CPAN::Shell->r)'
>                                     [~]
> Password:
> Sorry, try again.
> Password:
> Cannot load ExtUtils::MakeMaker: Can't locate ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm in
> @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/mach
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/mach /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8 .) at (eval
> 4) line 1.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/BSDPAN/ExtUtils/MakeMaker.pm line 17.
> Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm
> line 16.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/CPAN.pm line 16.
> Compilation failed in require.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
>

>> --
>> martin
>>
>> On 10/24/07, *Noah* <admin2@enabled.com <mailto:admin2@enabled.com> >
>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi there,
>>
>>     I am looking around for a really simple way to install CPAN on
>> FreeBSD.
>>       I keep running into errors in one variation or another.
>>
>>     Anybody have a good page to send me to?
>>
>>     Cheers,
>>
>>     Noah

I don't install CPAN on FreeBSD.  I use the ports and packages from
http://www.freebsd.org/ports
Do a search for the module that you require P5- means it is a perl
module also you can use the ports collection for PHP modules as well.
This will automatically install any other dependent modules.

Hope this helps