Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2007 14:37:59 +0200
From:      hans@lambermont.dyndns.org (Hans Lambermont)
To:        David Yeske <dyeske@gmail.com>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: heads up graphics/blender

Hi David,

David Yeske wrote:

> The graphics/blender port is a binary port that has not been updated
> in a couple of years.

I was wondering why ? (you being the maintainer ;-) .

For every blender release I still build the binary blob for the
blender.org website. I don't have any feedback at this time of its
usage, in the NaN days it was a few hundred downloads per release if I'm
not mistaken. The graphics/blender port could just continue to follow
the blender.org website download offerings.

> Most of the functionality has been migrated into the open source
> graphics/blender-devel port.

I must admin that I have not checked graphics/blender-devel for some
time. It uses the scons build system, right ? (the other 2, makefiles
and cmake are what I use mostly) is the game engine building enabled in
scons ? The soundsystem ? standalone-player ? web browser plugins ?

> I wanted to take a survey to see if anyone is still using the
> graphics/blender port as I plan to replace it with the open source
> blender.

Using the blender.org release source tarballs ? Sounds like an idea.
Or do you intend to move the graphics/blender-devel to graphics/blender ?

regards,
   Hans Lambermont