Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 14:46:00 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Recent changes to `dump'

I noticed that my backups stopped working over Thanksgiving break.
The cause turned out to be that the format of `dump''s informational
messages has changed to add the qualifier `tape ' in front of
references to `blocks'.  Given the fact that almost everyone who does
any sort of large-scale backups has written lots of wrapper scripts
which attempt to parse the output of `dump', I think this format
change is inadvisable, and I intend to reverse it unless someone
speaks up with a good reason to keep the superfluous verbiage.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.