Date:      Wed, 27 Feb 2002 22:05:40 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Riccardo Torrini <riccardo@torrini.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb product identified as ugen

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 01:39:55AM +0100, Riccardo Torrini wrote:
> On 27-Feb-2002 (23:17:15/GMT) Scott Long wrote:
>
> > Is the umass device compiled into the kernel, or loaded as a
> > module?  If it's a module, is it loaded before you attach the
> > drive?  The usb daemon isn't smart enough yet to load it...
>
> Now I have all compiled in.  Something happens...
>
> [...]
>
> Anyway, ugen0 disappear from /dev/ but _no_ umass0 appear,
> only xpt0...
>

> Riccardo.

The debug trace looks very good.

No umass0 device should appear in /dev.  Instead, you should get
a da device.  Do 'camcontrol devlist -v' and you should see the
bus (represented as umass-sim) and a 'da' and 'pass' device
for the drive.

It also sounds like you have other issues with the device not
always attaching or detaching correctly.  This is a weakness
of the umass driver, so you'll have to experiment a bit to
see what works for you.

Scott