Date:      Fri, 08 Jan 2010 09:29:46 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        Glyn Millington <glyn@millingtons.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail && SMTP AUTH: question about	/etc/mail/auth/client-info file

--------------enig0726AF7C96F1CD090E6CBB46

Matthias Apitz wrote:

> I have read the above page during my configuration but it does not
> explain to me which user must be configured in U: value; Is it me? Or i=
s it
> the userID the sendmail daemon is running as? It works with "U:root",
> but what does this mean exactly?

That's a SASL thing -- it has the concept of differentiating between
authentication ID (who you are (and you can prove it because you have the=

password or other security token)) and authorization ID (who you are logg=
ing
in as, and whose permissions you can use on the remote server).  Accordin=
to /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README:

> The RHS for an AuthInfo: entry in the access map should consists of a
> list of tokens, each of which has the form: "TDstring" (including
> the quotes).  T is a tag which describes the item, D is a delimiter,
> either ':' for simple text or '=3D' for a base64 encoded string.
> Valid values for the tag are:
>=20
>         U       user (authorization) id
>         I       authentication id
>         P       password
>         R       realm
>         M       list of mechanisms delimited by spaces

You don't generally need all of these items.  For the simplest case,
all you'ld need is U:username and P:password -- if you don't give=20
I:authid explicitly it assumes it is the same as U:username (and vice
versa, if you give I:authid and not U:username).

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3