Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 08:35:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Samuel Lam <skl@ScalableNetwork.com>
Subject:   Re: Solution for 3COM 3C589D PCMCIA Ethernet card problem (fwd)

> Subject: Solution for 3COM 3C589D PCMCIA Ethernet card problem
>
> For those with 3C589*D* cards and want to use the "ep" driver
> instead of PAO, I have found the problem.

Did you mean to say the 'zp' driver above?  I know that folks have used
the ep0 device in 2.2 and it's worked.

> The EEPROM used inside
> the 3C589D seems to be slower than those used in the 3C589C and
> older cards, and the DELAY(1000) in read_eeprom_data() isn't long
> enough any more.
>
> Increasing the delay to 1000000 (brute force) works, and some lower
> values would likely work as well, but I didn't have time to do a
> binary search for the new boundary.

I've commited code to -current to if_zp.c to bump up the value, to see
if it helps.

> A better fix would be to make read_eeprom_data() call f_is_eeprom_busy()
> after the DELAY(1000).

Agreed, but I have a crappy connection, and don't have time to review
the code to come up with a correct fix.  Since the zp device is going
away at some point, I didn't think spending alot of time fixing it was
worthwhile.

Thanks!

Nate