Date:      10 Jan 2001 10:05:20 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /proc info

blaz@satx.rr.com (blaz) writes:

> greetings,
>
> I am making the transition into FreeBSD, and it has been very enjoyable
> so far.  Information that I use to find useful in slackware was the
> /proc/cpuinfo,
> pci, meminfo, etc..  when i stray into /proc on FreeBSD it seems to be
> nothing
> but numbers.  Is there any information that is equal to what slackware
> spewed
> out?

That information is generally available in other places on FreeBSD.
sysctl variables, vmstat(8), pciconf(8), top(1), and lots of other
places.  FreeBSD is also more aggressive in trying to keep all of its
memory in use, so this kind of information for memory usage is much
harder to interpret for the naive user.