Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 20:18:29 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        John and Jennifer Reynolds <jjreynold@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: useful addition to mergemaster (patch included)?

John and Jennifer Reynolds wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was tinkering with mergemaster tonight adding in something that seems useful
> to me. I track -stable and have found mergemaster very valuable--however,
> sometimes choosing 'd' over and over again for things I don't want touched
> (like root's .profile or .cshrc or /etc/networks, etc.) can get tedious.

	I'm catching up on some old email here. You can accomplish exactly the
same effect by adding the appropriate $FreeBSD CVS tags to your files. In
4.0 at least there are $FreeBSD tags for all the files mergemaster touches
except for /etc/motd (for which I supplied an override in .mergemasterrc)
and sendmail.cf, which I'm still thinking about.

	One of my design goals for mergemaster involved bypassing files that
should only have local modifications (i.e., when the CVS tags match) and
requiring examination of files that have been modified in the tree since
the last local update. Any sort of "automatic" action outside of this
environment contradicts my goals.

	At the same time, if you've noticed something in 4.0 (other than /etc/motd
and /etc/sendmail.cf) that isn't covered by a $FreeBSD tag, please let me
know. The tags in 3.x aren't quite as far up to date, but that becomes less
and less important as time goes on, since we're getting closer to
4.0-Release. (Yes I know that 3.x still has some life...)

Thanks for the suggestion,

Doug
--
"Welcome to the desert of the real."

    - Laurence Fishburne as Morpheus, "The Matrix"