Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:58:54 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Don Munyak <don.munyak@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkg_add problems

Don Munyak wrote:
> I am having trouble using pkg_add -r <some package>. I keep getting
> the following error.
> ---------------------------------------
> p0069# pkg_add -r bash
> Error: FTP Unable to get
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.1-release/Latest/bash.tbz:

The file does or doesn't exist? (I've not checked, we'll leave it in
your court) ;-)

> Network is unreachable

Network troubleshooting...?

> pkg_add: unable to fetch
> 'ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-6.1-release/Latest/bash.tbz'
>
> by URL
> p0069#
> ---------------------
>
> I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but
> - I have rebuilt the kernel successfully
> ---------------------
> p0069# uname -a
> FreeBSD p0069.bm.local 6.1-RELEASE-p12 FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE-p12 #0: Thu
> Feb  8 13:55:26 EST 2007
> xxxx@p0069.bm.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/WEBSERVER  i386
> --------------------
> - And there is no ports tree installed.. ie /usr/ports does not exist.
> - I can ping ftp.freebsd.org
> - I can also ftp>open ftp.freebsd.org

So, some network troubleshooting is done.  Can you actually download
anything from the server, though?  FTP runs on two "channels", and needs
to connect to a CONTROL port and a DATA port.  Possible that CONTROL is
open and DATA is blocked?

> Any thoughts on trouble shooting this would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Those are mine.  Good luck!

Kevin Kinsey
--
You may get an opportunity for advancement today.  Watch it!