Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 20:36:36 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mac <mac@ngo.org.uk>
To:        jc_rr@bol.com.br (Joao Carlos)
Subject:   Re: Boot via Serial

> i'm creating a project based on freebsd, and i would
> like to know if it is possible to boot freebsd via a
> serial.
> I mean... like cisco routers, etc... send all console
> stuff to a serial port instead of a tty and how to do
> that.
> I thought about linking /dev/ttyv1 to /dev/cuaa0 :P

I do this all the time, and it's dead easy.

Just add '-h' to your /boot.config file. (and make sure you've got a
working terminal onthe serial port!)

(Note, this is on 2.2.5, but I'm guessing it won't have changed that
much).

Oh, if you want to test this before making it permanent, you can just
type it in ar the 'boot:' prompt instead.

And finally, if you have a real keyboard attached, then note that
-Ctrl-Alt-Del- will still work.

And really finally, don't forget to put a 'getty' onto the serial port
you boot from, or else you won't be able to login to the box! (see
/etc/ttys)

                       Mac