Date:      Fri, 21 Feb 2003 18:08:12 -0500
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        Manny Obrey <manny8383@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: radius server suggestions

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 02:31:09PM +0000, Manny Obrey wrote:

> I'd like to get some input on open source radius server packages.
> Can anyone suggest which to stay away from and/or which ones are working
> for you ?
> Anyone care to comment on any of the implementations listed at the
> following url ?
>
> http://www.freeradius.org/related
>
> GNURadius
> OpenRadius
> Cistron
> XtRadius
> ICRadius
>
> here are some of my requirements:
> - robust
> - radius server should be able to query a backend ldap server
> - also allow me to have an ascii file that would allow me to
> allow/disallow users that may be in that file.
>
> Any hlp apprec.

My personal recommendation is OpenRADIUS with an LDAP directory for
holding user attributes and SQL database for holding accounting records.
LDAP is suitable for authentication information, simply because the data
is not required to be up-to-date at all times.  If a user cannot log in
for five minutes because his password change did not go replicate yet,
that's not a big deal, since it eventually will be replicated.

SQL is intended for complex and transaction-based queries, which makes
it well suited to store accounting records.  RADIUS records the start
and stop times of every user, along with various information such as the
speed they connected at, what number they dialed from (provided your
telco supports passing you this info), what number the user dialed in to
(ditto on the telcot thing), the reason they got disconnected (if the
hardware they dialed in to supports it), octets sent and receives, etc
It is then really easy to create an script for users to login to and
view their usage statistics.  Also a lot of ISP environments track usage
for billing purposes, making this chore very simple.

Just my two cents.