Date:      Sat, 7 Aug 2010 12:05:43 -0400
From:      Paul Lambert <eb30750@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: misc/149335: shell script runs on Linux but not on freebsd

Oliver,

One more time.  I should have included this in my last Email.  Instead of
using the exact offset into the file and "dd" is there a way to insert a
text "tag" such as codeStartHere_1 in the script then find this location by
a search and then extract beginning at this location +1 and extracting to
codeStopsHere_1 -1, or by the number of bytes.  Maybe the right solution is
to develop a smarter install script.

Thanks again, again,

Paul

On Sat, Aug 7, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Paul Lambert <eb30750@gmail.com> wrote:

> Oliver,
>
> One last observation I have made regarding this bundle installer.  The
> reason for all the size calculations is that the installer and code are
> offset a specific bytes within the file.  Even if I correct the shell cal=
ls
> the file size will change and the code will not be extracted correctly.
>
> However, I can open the file and find exactly where the code is located,
> extract it and place it in the location where the shell script would plac=
> and see if it will run from there.  This is a longshot but the fact is sh=
ell
> scripts automate what can be manually performed.  But, using vi will be
> tedious.  Gedit will not open the file.  Are there any other very forgivi=
ng
> editors that will make it easier to edit this file?
>
> Thanks again.
> Paul
>

> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Paul Lambert <eb30750@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Oliver,
>>
>> Looks like the Linux emulator is only 32 bit.  Here is the error I get
>> after installing the emulator and running the /usr/compat/linux/bin/bash
>> shell.
>>
>> This is a x64 bundle and does not match that of the current
>> architecture.  Please download the x86 bundle.
>>
>> I would like to see if I can get the x64 to install but if not I think t=
he
>> x86 will but it may have reduced performance since I am looking to run
>> virtual machines that in effect would be running on an emulator themselv=
es.

>> May be necessary to move to Virtual Box but I loose considerable
>> functionality there especially USB support.
>>
>> Paul
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Paul Lambert <eb30750@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Oliver,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the reply.  I am attaching the bash output from the shell
>>> script.  This script implements RPMs so I am sure that I need the linux
>>> module.  I had previously found a guide on how to install RPMs on FreeB=
SD.