Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2007 16:43:08 +0100
From:      Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   localise only one tty?

Is it possible to localise only some (one) virtual terminal?

For example I'd like to have russian only on ttyv0,
but leave all other terminals with default screen map, so that programs
which use extended ascii set, e.g. sysinstall (typically for arrows
and frame elements) are displayed as intended.

Following recommendations of Chapter 22 Localisation I have the following
lines in my /etc/rc.conf:

keymap="ru.koi8-r"
scrnmap="koi8-r2cp866"
font8x16="cp866b-8x16"
font8x14="cp866-8x14"
font8x8="cp866-8x8"

I enable cons25r only on ttyv0:

%cat /etc/ttys

[...]

ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25r on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv3   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv4   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv5   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv6   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv7   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on  secure

[...]

but I now have russian characters for extended ascii set on all
virutal terminals (except X).

What is the point of changing the terminal type to cons25r if cons25
already shows russian characters?

thanks a lot
anton

--