Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 14:15:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Scott Michel <scottm@cs.ucla.edu>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NEC 276 CDrom drive

I brought this up on this list a few months ago, and now with a minor
lull in my courses, I did some debugging. I'd been getting "unknown
phase" errors and was told that this was due to latency in the controller.

It's not. It's due to a strong predicate in atapi.c. I changed

	#define PHASE_COMPLETED (ARI_IN | ARI_CMD)

	#define PHASE_COMPLETED (ARI_CMD)

and the unknown phase (the more common problem for me) goes away.
Apparently, the controller doesn't assert ARI_IN when the ATAPI_MODE_SENSE
command is done.

Question: Is this change to PHASE_COMPLETED, albeit a weaker predicate,
safe? And can someone commit this change to -current?

-scooter
--
Scott Michel                        | In life, there are sheep and there are
UCLA Computer Science		    | wolves.