Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 1996 07:50:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        rcummins@burlco.lib.nj.us (Ray Cummins)
Cc:        taliesin@inconnect.com, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why cant you do this???I

In a previous message, Ray Cummins said:
> On Sun, 22 Dec 1996, Justin Thuet wrote:
>
> > I want to move to freebsd for my Pc, however I cant find one tar file
> > with
> > all the install files in it. Why cant you do that, then download one file
> > untar it then install, it would be the coolest thing since sliced bread!
> > theres no way that I want to download 300 seperate files! it take all
> > night...
> >
> > 					Justin
>
> FTP to ftp.cdrom.com, cd to /pub/FreeBSD, then
>
> get 2.1.6-RELEASE.tar.gz
>
> or whatever you want.  Their server automatically tars all files and gzips
> the result.

It would also be huge. Probably 600 meg or more.

Why don't you install via ftp? What you need to download is the boot.flp
image, create a boot disk and start the install.

Paul.

--
"The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over
 any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent