Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 15:38:17 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

Sue Blake wrote:

[snippage]

> Doug, I've read your next email and it seems you're still catching up with
> the discussion and throwing comments in while the ideas are fresh. That's
> fine, but it might be a little early to respond to them.

	Your assumption is incorrect. In fact, I read all of the posts in the
thread and thought carefully about them before I replied. Please don't
assume that because I haven't reached the same conclusion you have that
I don't adequately understand the topic.

> Let me just clarify that I'm not trying to solve all support problems, or
> all newbies problems. I'm trying to focus on one thing. If the discussion
> leads people to want to work on other things that's great, but I'm not going
> to have time to be sidetracked.

	Yes, I think you've identified what I perceive to be a fairly
substantial problem. You want a newbies mailing list. You want to focus
your attention on that goal to the exclusion of all else, including the
discussion regarding whether or not that is the best way to help new
users. In an attempt to avoid further confusion, let me state explicitly
what I attempted to say tactfully in my previous letter. I think your
narrow mindedness regarding this issue is dangerous, and I think that
you could end up doing more harm than good by providing a superficial
"solution" to what is actually a very important part of the FreeBSD
project.

> I don't think anyone needs to feel threatened by the prospect of newbies
> taking over,

	I don't think anyone does. In the abscence of evidence to the contrary
I will avoid categorizing your attempt to attribute the arguments of
those who have valid disagreements with your perspective as ignorance
and fear to malice on your part. I will instead assume that your zeal to
accomplish your goal has clouded your judgement.

	As it turns out, not only do I have a lot of experience providing end
user support both in person and over the internet, I actually get paid
to do it. I will avoid further tooting of my own horn, and would like to
have avoided it altogether except that I think it will help serve to
dispel the notion that I don't actually understand the topic at hand.

Doug

--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
*** Proud operator, designer and maintainer of the world's largest