Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:12:49 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@mobil.cz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HIERARCHY BATTLE: Beat the shit out of the rest!

> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 15:34:34 +0100
> From: Cliff Sarginson <csfbsd@raggedclown.net>
> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: HIERARCHY BATTLE: Beat the shit out of the rest!

> There is a hierarchy that FreeBSD uses, the only minorly controversial point,
> that I believe gets discussed at every level from time to time over the
> years is the use of "/usr/local". This is really a semantic problem, in
> that "local" implies for a lot of people, their own "stuff" .. i.e.
> programs, scripts docs etc that they produce themselves. In FreeBSD it
> is the home of installed programs that are not part of the base
> distribution, viz. "ports". (Forgetting about X11 for a moment which
> plays by it's own rules). You can change this I believe if you really
> want to.

    Yes. You could put e. g. "LOCAL_BASE=/opt" in /etc/make.conf.

> But if you go with the current hierarchy then the only thing you have to
> consider is what to do with your really local, local stuff :).

    Or you could install your really local, local stuff to /opt or
    /local... I don't like the commingling of user dirs with the std.
    hierarchy as described below. But that's just me.

--
FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE
4:56PM up 12 days, 18:04, 17 users, load averages: 0.23, 0.19, 0.16