Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 05:49:26 -0500
From:      lluisma <lluisma@osi-technologies.com>
To:        "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Tuning: FreeBSD as static router with 6 fast ethernet cards

I have this opportunity to use freebsd as a router serving 15 subnets
with six fast ethernet cards(will do aliasing to support all 15 subnets)
supporting about 1,200 PCs running windows. In addition, this freebsd
router will also run samba 2.0.6(  to act as local master browser for
all subnets) and  ipfilter and nothing else. All PCs are connected to
switches with 10/100 mbit ports.

Question: Is there any special tuning I can do to maximize routing
performance under the above setup? Should I increase values for bpfilter
and maxusers? What kernel options should I focus on?

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

LLU