Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 00:01:58 -0500
From:      Nanbor Wang <nw1@cs.wustl.edu>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any compiler guru? (Was: 2 questions about C++ support in 2.2)

> > I have been working on porting ACE to FreeBSD platform on and off for
> > quite some time.
> > [...]
> > /var/tmp/cc022478.s:16783: Warning: GOT relocation burb: `__vt$15ACE_Local_Mutex
> > ' should be global
>
> This has shown up in some other things as well.  I have fixed this sort
> of problem in g++ before, and it is on my list to fix this one.
>
> It would really help to have a small, self-contained test case.
> Could you please try to pare down one of the failing source files to
> the bare minimum, and send it to me?

I can't wait.  Here is a short one.  Compile it as

  gcc -fpic -c got.cc

and you should get the GOT warning.  You can play with it.  If you
define constructor foo::foo() as an inline function too, or, remove
the "inline" keyword from definition of foo::bar(), you can get rid of
the GOT warning.  Anyone?

Thanks a lot!!

nw

# This is a shell archive.  Save it in a file, remove anything before
# this line, and then unpack it by entering "sh file".  Note, it may
# create directories; files and directories will be owned by you and
# have default permissions.
#
# This archive contains:
#