Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2012 13:29:42 -0400
From:      Richard Yao <ryao@gentoo.org>
To:        Vincent Hoffman <vince@unsane.co.uk>
Cc:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>, Outback Dingo <outbackdingo@gmail.com>, openrc@gentoo.org, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Atte_Peltom=E4ki?= <atte.peltomaki@iki.fi>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Replacing rc(8) (Was: FreeBSD Boot Times)

On 06/18/2012 01:12 PM, Vincent Hoffman wrote:
> On 18/06/2012 09:11, Atte Peltomäki wrote:

>>> Theres  always Launchd also.........
>> Launchd is strikingly similar to SMF, which probably isn't a
>> coincidence, knowing how much other code Apple pulled from Solaris
>> during those days.
>>
> There was even some work done to get it working for FreeBSD if anyone
> feels like taking it up again.
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/launchd

Would someone elaborate on what launchd and SMF do well in comparison to
OpenRC (or FreeBSD's init)? Gentoo does active OpenRC development. If
there is anything that it could do better, please do not hesitate to let
us know so that improvements can be made.

Would licensing be a problem for either SMF or launchd? I know that CDDL
code is not allowed in GENERIC kernels, so I would be surprised if SMF
would be acceptable for FreeBSD's init system. I am not sure what the
situation is for Apache 2.0 licensed code, but I would think that
FreeBSD would code that is available under the 2-clause BSD license.

With that said, the Gentoo developers already have OpenRC working on
FreeBSD and OpenRC is available under the 2-clause BSD license, so it
should have a compatible license.