Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:50:06 -0600
From:      Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sysctl panics kernel with snd_pcm tweaks

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 10:08, Eric Anderson wrote:
> When snd_pcm.ko is loaded at boot time, having:
> hw.snd.pcm0.vchans=4
> hw.snd.maxautovchans=4
> in my sysctl.conf causes my kernel to panic on boot (I believe it's the
> hw.snd.maxautovchans causing the panic, but haven't tried explicitly yet)
>
> It worked about a week or so back with no problems - just recently (Dec
> 12th to Dec 15th or so) something changed that made this not work anymore.
>
> uname -a:
> FreeBSD hostname.domain.com 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #0: Mon Dec
> 15 12:31:02 CST
>
> Eric

I've been messing with this problem and just as an FYI. The problem lies
in the sysctl for the maxautovchans when pcm is loaded as a module. As a
workaround build a kernel with 'device pcm' or take your
hw.snd.maxautovchans out of sysctl.conf.

--
Ryan "leadZERO" Sommers
Gamer's Impact President

-= http://www.gamersimpact.com =-