Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 00:11:49 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Robert Clark" <res03db2@gte.net>
Cc:        <michael@tenzo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Naming ethernet NICs

No, that's not what I meant.  Note that in that post I
never said that I _didn't like_ having to test each port. :-)

What I was merely point out is that the original poster was
saying that the "eth0, eth1, eth2..." way of doing things is
superior, and I was just responding that "no, it has problems
too, such as matching up ports to nics" then following it
with an example of ed0, ed1, ed2...  I figured that the poster
would be able to grasp that there's no difference between
eth0, eth1, eth2,,, and ed0, ed1, ed2,,, for what he seemed
to think was desirable behavior for having everything named
the same.

As a matter of fact, I actually don't advocate using different
NICS in routers, because if they are all the same then you
can make a custom compiled kernel a little smaller since you
only have to include 1 nic driver in it.