Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 09:17:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Brokeness of floppy images

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Jason Wells wrote:

> I have had trouble with the brokeness of my boot.flp images for 2.2.2. This
> trouble occurs on a downloaded image. It occurs on the boot.flp image from
> my CDROM. It even occurs using the install.bat file on the CDROM. This
> leads me to believe that this image was broke on the day it was born. (Yes,
> I know... the other common denominator is my computer.) I know there is a
> workaround. I have used it succesfully.
>
> My primary concern is that the very first contact many people will get with
> FreeBSD is "panic double fault".

Ah, the 48MB double fault.  This seemed to only affect the 2.2.2-RELEASE
floppy;  any later SNAP floppies, and thus 2.2.5, will work properly.  For
the history here, the boot floppy will emit `panic: double fault' if you
have 48mb of RAM installed in the machine.

They need to grab a 2.2.5 floppy or yank a SIMM until you're finished
installing. And I'd highly recommend installing 2.2.5 instead of 2.2.2;
the 2.2.2 sysinstall had some nasty corruption bugs.