Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 17:23:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      James Earl <mtntrip@yahoo.com>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Antialiased fonts

--- Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 23:27, James Earl wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been unable to successfully get antialiased fonts working in GNOME 2.0.  I'm running
> FreeBSD
> > 4.6-RELEASE and XFree86 4.2.0, with USE_GDK_XFT set to 1, and Type1 and webfonts specified in
> the
> > XftConfig file.  I'm not very good with fonts and XFree86 yet, so I really don't know what I
> could
> > be doing wrong.
>
> Take a look at the FAQ at
> http://www.marcuscom.com/gnome/docs/faq2.html#q8
>
> You need to make sure you have the freetype and type1 modules loaded in
> XF86Config, and that, if you're using gdm, your ~/.gnomerc file is
> executable.
>

> > Do I need gdkpixbuf installed for antialiased fonts?  (the only reason I ask is the "GDK" in
> > USE_GDK_XFT).
>
> No, gdk-pixbuf is a GNOME 1.4.1-only component.
>
> Joe

I actually do have the freetype and type1 modules loaded.  I should have mentioned that.

To set USE_GDK_XFT to 1, I'm using 'setenv USE_GDK_XFT 1' from the command line.  Once I'm in
GNOME I check to see that USE_GDK_XFT is set to 1 using 'echo $USE_GDK_XFT'.  For my XftConfig
file I am using the one that is included with XFree86, except I have two dir lines: dir
"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1" and dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/webfonts"  Are there any other
requirements for the XftConfig file to get antialiased fonts working?

There's no way that my GNOME 2.0 port could have been built without support for antialiased fonts
is there?

Thanks,
James