Date:      Tue, 06 Sep 2016 14:27:02 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Cristiano Deana <cristiano.deana@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Query re. /etc/resolv.conf...

--On 06 September 2016 14:33 +0200 Cristiano Deana
<cristiano.deana@gmail.com> wrote:

> Did you actually check what is really going on? Eg:
> tcpdump -ni your_interface port 53
>
> Just to verify which DNS is trying to reach, timeout, etc.

Ok, having run some more tests on here - it appears it may be Xen
(virtualisation) related.

I had forgotten the 10.3 box I was testing on was a virtual machine. It
appears the same test on a 'real' 10.3 box succeeds (as it does on the 9.x
boxes).

However, a virtual XenServer FreeBSD 10.3 instance has the problem... I'll
kick it over to -xen to see if anyone there can think of anything...

Incase anyone else encounters the issue - as a work around removing
everything bar '127.0.0.1' in '/etc/resolv.conf' does work - i.e. Unbound
will correctly pool the forwards you set it up for - if one disappears,
name resolution continues.

Very strange... Thanks to all who replied,

-Karl