Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 14:23:27 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        clintm@ICSI.Net, FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ip masquerading

> > Is ip masquerading available for FreeBSD?  I would like to route
> > my Amiga (via NetBSD/ethernet) through my PC (FreeBSD), and I
> > only have one IP address.  I had this set up in Linux, but after
> > I had a disk crash (which I don't think was Linux-related) I
> > would like to give FreeBSD a try.  If there is no masquerading
> > availabe, is it being worked on?
>
> AFAIK, FreeBSD doesn't provide this capability.  I doubt it ever will, since
> IP masqerading was considered "evil" by some of the group :-)

Actually, the only people who believe that it is evil are those
of us who believe FreeBSD should comply with IETF standards so
that the backbone routers don't refuse to connect us to the
Internet.

Which is to say, everyone who understands the problem.

The correct fix for this is to use "socks".  The new version of
socks des not require you to recompile shared version of programs.

A cannonical soloution for binary apps like netscape (ther than running
something like the "harvest" cache on your gateway machine, which also
works) would be to implement a socks forwarding client as a tunnel
device driver.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---