Date:      Thu, 03 Oct 2002 17:01:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Any users of matcd(4), mcd(4), or scd(4)?

Are there any users who use the matcd(4), mcd(4) or scd(4) drivers?
These drivers are for rather old non-standard CD-ROM controllers
most of which only support 1x speeds. :)  There are several changes
being made to the kernel API's used by device drivers in -current.
Unless we can find some people who actually use these devices and
can test patches for these drivers we will have to drop support for
them.  So, is anyone out there still using this old hardware?  Note
that if support for these ancient devices was dropped, it wouldn't
be dropped until 5.0.  4.x. would continue to support these devices
forever.