Date:      Mon, 9 Sep 2013 14:58:28 -0700
From:      Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin@gmail.com>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org" <freebsd-bluetooth@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can ubt0 be a slave or a passive listener, and not a master?

On Monday, September 9, 2013, Yuri wrote:

> So what you are saying is that there is no link-level sniffing using this
> kind of configuration. And the only thing I can see with hcidump are HCI
> commands coming back and forth between the host (BSD in this case) and
> device (dongle). Nothing like "promiscuous" mode for network interfaces. In
> other words, dongle does processing and only shows higher level information
> and not the link level packets.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm saying. Bluetooth interface is not like
network interface. You can't turn it into sniffer. At least I'm not aware
of any way to do it. There's a separate piece of hardware - Bluetooth
sniffer - that basically grabs over the air communications and decodes it.

> My original motivation for this is that I have a camera GPS device
> (master) and Android App that is supposed to work as a slave. But this link
> doesn't work at all for some reason. I was hoping to use BSD to
> troubleshoot. But it looks like this wasn't a realistic expectation.

Well, you can use bsd instead of android application and try to see what is
going on. Bluetooth GPS usually a simple serial port profile.  They just
basically send nmea ASCII strings using serial port profile. I have one of
those units. Start by querying services on your camera and see what's
there.

Thanks
Max