Date:      Wed, 02 May 2007 22:52:23 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unix friendly network testbench for FreeBSD?

Julian Elischer wrote:
> youshi10@u.washington.edu wrote:
>
>>> I'd go with 4.11 or wait the extra month or so..
>>
>> That's true, but unfortunately...
>>
>> a) 7-CURRENT isn't production quality, but it's getting closer all the
>> time.
>> b) I need to start work soon, sometime within the next few weeks at
>> the latest. I should have thought about this earlier, but it was just
>> posed as a thought to me friday.
>

> 4.11 is definitly production quality..
>
> It won't make it into 7.0. I'm pretty sure.
>
> WHen 7-x branches this may go into head.. that puts it a feature in 8.0
>
> Why do you want to use 7.0?
>
> of course there is always multiple Xen/vmware/whatever machines.

I didn't suggest that I wanted to use 7-CURRENT for production releases.
That's entirely based on the devs responses.

I'll give the 4.11 release a shot, but I don't like using 4.x because
the SMP quality and 64-bit capability is lower than of 5.x and 6.x, and
the majority of these tests need to be done with 64-bit capability since
all of the machines will be Core2Duo+ capable (and thinking ahead), Quad
core+ enabled.

-Garrett