Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 98 10:29:42 -0400
From:      Michael Scott Boers <mboers@datacompusa.com>
To:        "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Problem with Cyclades Cyclom-8YeP and 2.2.7

Sent:        10/14/1998 10:24 AM
To:          FreeBSD Questions, freebsd_questions@freebsd.org
CC:          Cyclades Support, support@cyclades.com

I am having trouble getting a Cyclades Cyclom-8YeP (8 port, PCI, with the
external box) work with my FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE machine.  After
rebuilding the kernel with #define cy0 and rebooting, dmesg reports:

cy0 <Cyclades Cyclom-Y Serial Adapter> rev 1 int a irq 9 on pci0:8:0
cy0: no ports found!

and of course, trying to use cuac00 reports device not configured.

However, when I boot with a DOS 7.0 floppy and use the CYCTEST.EXE from
Cyclades the board works just fine.  Does anyone have information on how
I can get FreeBSD to work with this card?  Is there a more advanced cy.c
driver out there?  Have the constants for the CD1400 changed?  If there
is a more appropriate list to post this message to, please let me know.

Thank-you,

Michael Boers
Datacomp Appraisal Services

Driver info:
Stock 2.2.7      i386/isa/cy.c 1.41.2.3
Cyclades 2.2.6   i386/isa/cy/c 1.41.3.1

What I have tried:

I have rearranged the order in which the irq's are assigned to stay away
from irq 9.  No change.

I have set the base address with the CYCTEST program from Y < 1 MB to Y >
1 MB.  No Change.

I have downloaded the replacement cy.c and cyreg.h from
ftp.cyclades.com/pub/cyclades/cyclom-y/freebsd/2.2.6/ and recompiled the
kernel.  No change.

GORY DETAILS!

I have added printf's to cy_pci.c and cy.c to show variable contents
during startup:

cy0 <Cyclades Cyclom-Y Serial Adapter> rev 1 int a irq 9 on pci0:8:0
cy_pci.c cy_attach() config_id.cfg1 = 80004000
cy_pci.c cy_attach() unit = 0
cy_pci.c cy_attach() ioport = 7c80
cy_pci.c cy_attach() paddr = dc000
cy_pci.c cy_attach vaddr() = f4d18000
cy.c cyattach_common() cy_iobase = f4d18000
cy.c cyattach_common() cy_align = 1
cy.c cyattach_common() adapter = 0
cy.c cy_units() cy_iobase = f4d18000
cy.c cy_units() cy_align = 1
cy.c cy_units() iobase = f4d18000
cy.c cy_units() i (after wait/ready loop) = a
cy.c cy_units() firmware_version = ff
cy0: no ports found!

The iobase 0xdc000 mostly matches the iobase reported by CYCTEST DC002h.
The ioport 0x7c80 is also close to the Runtime Regs Addr reported by
CYCTEST 00007C81h.
I can only guess as to whether the virutal address is correct.

My guess is that the problem is either in the wait ready loop (notice
that i = 0xa which means it never got the values it was expecting) or it
is in the firmware query which always responses with 0xff which is not
correct (it should be 0x48).

MORE GORY DETAILS

Output from CYCTEST:

Device:         64
BusNumber:      0
Vendor ID:      120Eh
Device ID:      0100h
Class Code:     078000h
Revision ID:    01h
Interrupt Line: 9
Runtime Regs Addr: 00007C81h
Base Address Reg:  000DC002h
Firmware ID:    13
FirmWare Rev:   3
Number of Ports:8
ID Number:      9DA74502
EEPROM Version: 3

CD1400 #0:      48h
CD1400 #1:      48h
CD1400 #2:      00h
CD1400 #3:      00h
CD1400 #4:      00h
CD1400 #5:      00h
CD1400 #6:      00h
CD1400 #7:      00h

Hardware info from dmesg:
FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE #3: Wed Oct 14 08:46:19 EDT 1998
    root@mars.datacompusa.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/MARS
CPU: AMD-K5(tm) Processor (99.95-MHz 586-class CPU)
  Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x514  Stepping=4
  Features=0x21bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,PGE>
real memory  = 33554432 (32768K bytes)
avail memory = 31059968 (30332K bytes)
Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
chip0 <Intel 82437VX PCI cache memory controller> rev 2 on pci0:0:0
chip1 <Intel 82371SB PCI-ISA bridge> rev 1 on pci0:7:0
chip2 <Intel 82371SB IDE interface> rev 0 on pci0:7:1