Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2000 16:35:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Dan Ts'o" <dan@dna.tsolab.org>
To:        swb@grasslake.net (Shawn Barnhart)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does su have a builtin nohup?

> Does su have some kind of a built-in nohup option?  If I su to root and
> execute a command or shell script and then disconnect (ie, quit the terminal
> software I'm running, which in my case is an ssh session) whatever I was
> last running su'd as root continues to run until I manually kill it.

	I have noticed this too and have appreciated it as a "feature",
though I consider it a bug. I am quite sure that is not the way original
Unix worked. It may have to do with the way that process groups/privs
are handling signals these days...
	Why it has been nice is that I quite often start up backup jobs
remotely which can take several hours and from time to time the connection
is severed, but the backup thankfully continued. I realize I could always
use nohup, but...
	There should be a way to "reconnect" to disconnected jobs, much
like in old TOPS-10, ie to reassociate controlling ttys to detached jobs.
It is the I/O (stdin/stdout/stderr/ctty) analog of signals, parent/child,
and job control.