Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 10:04:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@TheWorld.com>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andreas_M=F6ller?= <andreas-moeller@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.6-RC, xchat 1.8.8_2 segfaulting

>Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 15:37:32 +0200
>From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andreas_M=F6ller?= <andreas-moeller@gmx.net>
>To: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
>CC: kwc@TheWorld.com
>Subject: Re: 4.6-RC, xchat 1.8.8_2 segfaulting
>
>Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
>> Hello -stable:
>>
>> Is anyone here having xchat (v 1.8.8_2, from ports) segfaulting
>> in -stable?  I'm getting a null pointer dereference.
>>
>> I'm seeing this on a system since cvsup/{build,install}world
>> of 1 May.  Previous to that everything was (well, seemed)
>> fine.  It now runs 4.6-RC, as of afternoon local time
>> Friday, 17 May & xchat still crashes; best I can tell,
>> everything else is working fine (at least not segfaulting).
>>
>> xchat segfaults repeatably while connecting to servers running:
>>   bahamut, with services
>>   unreal ircd, with services
>>
>> I can't determine versions; the connection doesn't make it that far.
>>
>> It runs fine (so far, repeatably) connecting with servers running:
>>   "plain vanilla" ircd v 2.9.5 (?) without services
>>     (I think this ircd is from ports of yore...)
>>    cyclone0.3.1.1 with services I think, b/c nickserv answers
>>
>> Could anything have changed in -stable (or perhaps -ports,
>> i.e. dependencies) between 24 April & 1 May that might be
>> causing this and/or exposing some other glitch?
>
>Try rebuilding xchat, perhaps without GNOME support (make install
>WITHOUT_GNOME=yes). Before building it without GNOME support I also had
>several crashes, now xchat runs rock stable.
>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> -kc
>
>Greetings,
>		Andreas

Didn't work; same results.  I did "make WITHOUT_GNOME=yes
DEBUG_FLAGS=yes" and then a "make install" with the
same defines.  But this does seem to be a nice lead; I'll
check further; I wonder if maybe something changed in the
(Mk?)-system that might be causing this.  Afaik xchat is
rather non-troublesome.  For example, how do I "know" that
the GNOME support knob is truly "off?"

Ideas welcome,

-kc