Date:      Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:37:22 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hard disk Corrupted?

> does fsck also check for bad sectors?

No.  Bad sectors are below the filesystem layer.  I run SCSI, so I don't
have to deal with this (the drives remap on their own).  In the past, I've
had to back up the filesystem, map out the sector (see bad144 if its still
around), rebuild the filesystem, and restore.

There may be some new way to handle this, but I wouldn't know.

Jon Doran