Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 16:00:42 -0400
From:      "Christopher R. Bowman" <crb@ChrisBowman.com>
To:        gummibear@we.mediaone.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Are SIIG SCSI Cards Supported?

At 10:53 AM 6/27/99 -0700, gummibear@we.mediaone.net wrote:

>Hello all!
>
>I'm looking at getting a low-cost entry level SCSI adapter.  I came across
>SIIG (www.siig.com) products while looking through newspaper ads.  SIIG
>seems to make various I/O adapters ranging from SCSI cards to ATA/66 cards
>and more. The product that I was interested in is the: AP-40 SCSI Pro PCI -
>Ultra Wide SCSI Bus Master Adapter. I've seen this card as low as $150
>which seems to be a good deal.
>
>According to their website their SCSI controllers use two different
>chipsets, the ADVANSYS and INITIO.  I believe that I've read that the
>Admansys chipset is supported, but I'm not sure about the Initio. Do you
>know if that chipset is supported?

The Tekram 390 U2W is a Symbios 53c895 based Ultra2-Wide controller that I have
seen as low as $160.  I have the 390F which is a Symbios 53c876 based
Ultra-Wide and should be cheaper, and I have been very happy with it under the
many operating systems I have tried.  I also picked up a Diamond Fireport 40
Dual which is a dual channel Ultra-Wide based on the Symbios 53c876, it's bios
isn't as nice as the Tekram's but it has also been a very nice card.  The
Adaptec cards are very well supported since the two guys that do most of the
scsi work spend the time to make sure the Adpatec cards work right.  The
Symbios cards on the other hand have complete and easily attained documentation
making it easy for others to dig in and fix things.  Both of these drivers have
been very stable for a long time.  If I were you I would either get an Adaptec
card or a Symbios based card which are a tiny bit cheaper.
--------
Christopher R. Bowman
crb@ChrisBowman.com
http://www.ChrisBowman.com/