Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 09:37:33 -0300 (GMT)
From:      Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@ns1.sminter.com.ar>
To:        robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org
Cc:        peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ACL's

En un mensaje anterior, Robert Watson escribió:
[...]
> I think hard links are neat, et al, but I really don't think they add any
> new useful functionality above symlinks, and they can certainly introduce
> new problems.  They save a little disk space here and there (as long as
> you don't recursive move anything)...

Let me tell you a situation where there is a clear performance loose when
using soft links.

Heavy used Solaris mail server. /var/mail softlinked to /export/mail (lot
of space there).
Having around 7000+ users, support calls about "mail retreival is slow"
started to appear.
Solution: Compile POP3d to use /export/mail directly. Everyone happy again.

Regards.

Fernando P. Schapachnik
Administracion de la red
VIA Net Works Argentina SA