Date:      Wed, 06 Dec 2000 11:42:21
From:      "Aaron Hill" <hillaa@hotmail.com>
To:        Bertrand.BAROTH@reda.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compaq

>Can I install Free BSD on my Compaq Deskpro XL 5120 bought september 95 ?

Not sure about your exact model but I've been running 3.4-RELEASE on a
Deskpro XL 590 since 3.4 was released. It's been running a fairly well used
web and FTP intranet site without issue.

I've been running with 1 x 1.? GB IDE drive (boot), 2 x 3GB SCSI drives, 1 x
SCSI 4mm DAT, 1 x IDE CD-ROM.

I did use the onboard ethernet card for a while but went to a 100Mb/s PCI
card to get higher speed from the machine.

Personally I've never liked those floppy controller based tape drives but I
can't see how that would be causing your SCSI timeout problems. I'd
recommend you check the SCSI termination and ensure you're running the
latest Compaq BIOS (from 20 May 1998)...

http://www5.compaq.com/support/files/desktops/us/download/1140.html

... and based on my experience it should be all plain sailing with FreeBSD.
Drop me a line directly if you need any further information.

Good Luck
Aaron Hill