Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 2019 11:07:47 -0700
From:      Larry Maloney <larry.maloney@hackerdojo.com>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?Domagoj_Smol=C4=8Di=C4=87?= <rank1seeker@gmail.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: For a first time completed S.M.A.R.T captive test

It=E2=80=99s been a while,so I could be wrong, but I seem to recall having t=
o unmount the device before testing.

/Larry

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 16, 2019, at 10:08 AM, Domagoj Smol=C4=8Di=C4=87 <rank1seeker@gmail=
.com> wrote:
>=20
> 11.2-RELEASE-p9
>=20
> =46rom the first time I started to use FreeBSD and upon to just recently, w=
ith smartmontools, I have NEVER successfully completed captive test.
> No matter which HDD or smartmontools version I used, upon initiating 'Exte=
nded captive' test, I would ALWAYS get error: 'Interrupted (host reset)'
> This implies nothing is being mounted from device, so only it's node exist=
 in /dev/ and nothing "chats" with it except kernel.
> Stopping smartd service also didn't help.
>=20
> Searching on the internet, I have never found anyone succeeding with it.
> Just a "solutions" that it should never be used?!
>=20
> So I started to think a little bit out of the box ...
> HDD has it's OWN board with it's OWN BIOS + firmware, which actually holds=
 S.M.A.R.T version/ability and IT executes issued test from OS, using it's o=
wn firmware to actually run a test.
> Once HDD receives test request from OS, HDD doesn't need OS at all!
>=20
> So, in order to get rid of a results like:
>    Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(ho=
urs)  LBA_of_first_error
>    # 2  Extended captive    Interrupted (host reset)      90%     40743   =
      -
>=20
> And suspecting OS (kernel?!) is pestering HDD during it's captive test, th=
us interrupting it, AS SOON as captive CMD is issued and hangs occurs (it is=
 too late when hang passes by itself!), I've pulled out SATA DATA cable and l=
eft SATA POWER cable attached.
> Hang is stopped as soon as SATA DATA cable is unplugged and it's used only=
 to transfer test request anyway to HDD and all HDD needs from that point on=
, is JUST a power and it's "piece of mind"!
> RESULT:
>    --
>    SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
>    Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(ho=
urs)  LBA_of_first_error
>    # 1  Extended captive    Completed without error       00%     40744   =
      -
>    # 2  Extended captive    Interrupted (host reset)      90%     40743   =
      -
>    --
>=20
> FINALLY! =3D=3D> '# 1  Extended captive    Completed without error'
>=20
> So ..., what to conclude from this?
> Does kernel really must "chat" with HDD in order to keep alive it's device=
 node in /dev/ or is it something else?
> If HDD supports captive test and during it, why it simply doesn't ignore O=
S/kernel (it is up to HDD's firmware code to make that decision).
>=20
> Is this, I'm not even sure how to name it ..., a borderline bug?
>=20
> Anyway, it is a little bit "impractical" to use terminal with one hand and=
 with other to pull out SATA data cable.