Date:      Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:31:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Chris Phillips <chris@selkie.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Router

Hey,

I always hear people joking about how their 486 would make a great
router.  I have a P166 w/ 128MB ram and three intel 10/100 NICs running as
my firewall/router.  During peak times it is starting to have packet
loss.  At what point is it too much for this kind of hardware?  Does
anyone have any similar experiences?  Is the packet loss a direct result
from lack of processing power?  There is approximately 250 ipfw rules.

[root@gateway1 /root]# w
 9:26AM  up 414 days, 12:54, 1 user, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
USER             TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
root             p0       penguin          Thu08PM     - w

[root@gateway1 /root]# vmstat
 procs      memory     page                    disks     faults      cpu
 r b w     avm   fre  flt  re  pi  po  fr  sr ad0 md0   in   sy  cs us sy
id
 0 0 0    3236 79424    1   0   0   0   1   0   0   0  771    7   2  0  7
93

Anyone have any other suggestions for the packet loss?

Peak times can be up to 6mbit/s sustained.  This box routes 3 different
subnets that add up to 256 IPs.  There are two Catalyst 3524s sitting
behind it.  I'm not sure what other info I should include.

All comments/suggestions are appreciated.  Thanks.

-Chris Phillips

P.S.  Please CC me as I am not on the list.