Date:      Fri, 30 Dec 2016 10:34:28 +0100
From:      Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks@gmail.com>
To:        =?UTF-8?Q?Marko_Cupa=c4=87?= <marko.cupac@mimar.rs>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: current state of nfs between FreeBSD and ESXi

Op 29/12/2016 om 14:48 schreef Marko Cupać:
> Hi,
>
> a few years ago I opted to replace our NFS server from FreeBSD to
> CentOS, because I was getting sub-optimal speeds between ESXi client
> and FreeBSD server.
>
> I never tried the workaround described here:
> [http://christopher-technicalmusings.blogspot.rs/2011/06/speeding-up-freebsds-nfs-on-zfs-for-esx.html]
>
> Years have passed, and both FreeBSD and ESXi are now at a few major
> versions higher than at the time I last tried to make them talk NFS. Has
> anything changed in the meantime? Would I have the same problem now
> with FreeBSD 11.0 and ESXi 6.5?
>
> Thank you in advance,
The only way to find out is to test your setup.
We use FreeBSD 9.0 as a NFS server for our ESXi 5 servers.
We added a ZIL/SLOG device to our setup and speeds are back to normal.
The slowdown is because the async and sync behaviour of ZFS and ESXi.

One other option is to disable sync on the ZFS dataset. That will also
speedup NFS transfer speeds for the ESXi hosts, but then there is a
slight window for data corruption in case of a sudden crash of the server.

regards
Johan