Date:      Thu, 04 Dec 2003 19:09:29 -0600
From:      "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Gordon Vrololjak <gvrdolja@nature.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: updating question (fwd)

Gordon Vrololjak wrote:

>reposting since maybe everyone was on holiday when I posted earlier?

<snip>

>My main question is that I want to run a secure stable system on the
>internet, running ftp, apache httpd, and some other small apps.  What is
>the method in BSD that I should be using to keep up with the
>updates/security issues?
>
>Thanks for your help.  Any advice appreciated.

For the system itself, use the method shown
in the FreeBSD handbook ("new" method, Chapter
21 "The Cutting Edge").

For 3rd party software, install from the ports tree,
then use portupgrade (also in ports) to keep up
with the changes.  An excellent article by Dru Lavigne:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2003/08/28/FreeBSD_Basics.html

HTH,

Kevin Kinsey