Date:      Sun, 17 Oct 1999 14:52:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Mark L. Holloway" <mlholloway@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD in the .COM World

I just got back from Santa Cruz, California, where I was in training
for the Cisco PIX Firewall.  Some of the people in class work for
consulting companies that service many .COM companies.. According to
one of the guys I talked to alot, he said most companies that get
large funding spend tons of money on commercial HTTPd server for the
front end (Microsoft, Sun) and spend most of their money on a cluster
of Sun Enterprise servers for the back end where the database lives.
He said companies that don't get large funding typically deploy Red
Hat Linux on the front end on x86 and have 2 or 3 Sun Enterprise
servers on the back end.  I asked about *BSD and said there are some,
but not a lot.  However, most of the people who work for Ignite
Technologies (the firm he works for) are addicted to *BSD.  Their
typical Firewall deployment is the Nokia Firewall running FreeBSD and
Checkpoint.

My point is that I love FreeBSD.  I have been running FreeBSD for
almost 2 years and can't imagine life without it.  Yes, I also have a
Windows PC (especially for things like Sniffer Pro) but when it comes
to .COM-ing the world FreeBSD is a leader..especially with companies
like MS Hotmail, Link  Exchange, MP3.com, etc..FreeBSD seems to exit
here, there, and everywhere even when other commercial OSs also have
a presence.

Does anyone have any thoughts or input to this?  I'm in Las Vegas so
there are hardly any .COM companies, although some of the larger ISPs
have FreeBSD or BSDI mixed into their Sun/SGI networks.  As a Network
Administrator for the biggest WAN company in Las Vegas, I have to say
that FreeBSD may not be as prolific as Solaris, but it is strong,
robust, and the .COM people I know have great respect for FreeBSD.
I'm studying for my Cisco CCIE and my wife and I have plans to move
to Colorado (Denver/Boulder/Colorado Springs area) and I'm sure I'll
end up working for some type of .COM firm or organization.  The
chance of them using FreeBSD are slimmer than finding an organization
using Linux, but that's ok.  My roots are in Network Administration -
building fault tolerant networks with high security.  FreeBSD works
well.  I also have BSDI installed and it's awesome too.  Give me a
*BSD box, let me use Blackbox for the GUI when I need multiple xterm
windows, and I'm good to go!

Mark