Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:30:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        wkb@freebie.demon.nl
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.2RC1 hosed on Tlaser

wkb@freebie.demon.nl writes:

 > [handwritten transcript from console]
 > .. boot succeeds ok...
 > dwlpx0 (DWLPA PCI at kft0 hose0)
 > base = 0xb80000000
 > mask = 0xf80000000
 > hacked = 0xb80000000
 > panic: hose encoding hack would clobber base address
 >
 > I have no clue what this means, any takers?
 >
 > :-( :-(
 >
 > Wilko

Yes.  We have a grody hack in 4-stable to store off the hose in a
memory or i/o address so that the low-level chipset code knows which
hose a particular I/O request is for.  In this case, the SRM console
has assigned a memory address which overlaps the high bits we're using
for the hose hack.  This means that this particular box won't work
until Doug's hose fixes are backported to -stable. (see, for example,
the diff between rev 1.14 of sys/alpha/tlsb/dwlpx.c and 1.13.)

This box would probably work if you were shuffle hardware around or
remove it until it the SRM console happened to not use such a large
memory address.

BTW, this hack is responsible for the caveat about NCR/Sym controllers
only working on the first hose of multi-hose boxes.

Sigh.

Drew