Date:      Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:39:19 +0300
From:      Claudiu Dragalina-Paraipan <dr.clau@rdslink.ro>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   2 inet connections

Hi,

I have this situation: 2 inet connection at 2 different ISP, one with
2Mbps and one with 128kbps; and a big NATed network behind it, and a
small group of real addresses.
I want to do this: use the first connection as "primary" connection, and
if this fails, go to the second connection, as a backup.
The problem is that none of the ISP will help me in any way, so I have
to find a solution by my own.

I am trying to avoid the making of a software that watches the
connections and "declare" a line dead when no TCP connection can be
made, thus switching to the secondary/backup line.
I realize that there is no way of using the group of real addresses on
the backup line, since they are not routed, but this is not of such
importance. I need only to provide Internet connection for the NATed
network.

So... can someone provide me with some good practical advice for this
situation ?

NOTE:
I want to use FreeBSD for this, so FreeBSD specific advices are welcome.
In fact I don't even think of other solution.

I realize that this is not a very common situation, and I hope I have
explained it sufficiently clear.

Thank you very much.

Best regards,

--